There’s been a delay in updating my blog as not a huge amount has happened and didn’t want to bore you with lots of little posts. I have received various bits of equipment and here are some of the things I have carried out:
- New floor! I decided that the carpet wasn’t ideal and probably not hygienic so I installed a laminate floor. It’s not the most ideal but was easy to get hold of at this time and didn’t take long to put down.
- Installed some stainless steel splash backs behind the sink and Brewtools B40.
- Installed a flow and return pipe to connect to the wort chiller. The return pipe sends the warmed water to the sink to be used for washing up.
- Installed a water filter. Beer is mostly water after all.
Today I received my first order of ingredients and am eager to get brewing! However there are a couple of things I need to do before brew day 1.0:
- Drill a 6″ hole through the wall to vent the extractor hood. I ran the Brewtools up to the boil and it creates a fair amount of steam.
- Passivate the fermenters. I purchased a few kilos of citric acid which I’ll use to passivate the stainless steel. Supposedly it’s the thing to do!
- Install some quick hose connectors to my flow and return pipes for the wort chiller.
- Play about with Brewfather to adjust my recipe and account for the malt and hops I have purchased.
My first brew is going to be a chocolate stout. The reasons:
- It’s my favorite style of beer.
- Supposedly they’re a good to start out with as the strong flavors mask any brewing errors.
- The fermentation temperature should be easier to maintain as my glycol chiller hasn’t arrived yet.
Thanks for reading and keep an eye out for my brew day post. Salute!